The holiday season is very near, which means that it is time to prepare all of the colorful holiday decorations at home. Along with putting on some beautiful decor, the holidays are also about the giving of gifts and enjoying a nice warm meal with your friends and family. The holidays are a great time to show some love, along with experiencing some of the best dishes that provide a culinary experience that is an awesome adventure of flavors.
When it comes to holiday meals, there are many kinds of dishes that you can make for the whole family to enjoy. From classic holiday staples to satisfying desserts, there is no shortage of ideas to choose from. If you are looking to create a healthy set of holiday meals, you can try out some wonderful vegan recipes that would surely be a great fit for the holiday season. Here are 4 vegan gulay recipes that are worth a try during the holiday season.
Rice Porridge with Shiitake Mushrooms
A simple but delicious meal staple, rice porridge is a light yet warm dish that fits the holiday season. A rice porridge only needs a few ingredients to become tasty, however, you can add another degree of flavor by putting some Shiitake mushrooms. Known for providing that iconic umami flavor, shiitake mushrooms help add a satisfying savory flavor that elevates the dish, making it something that you should have in your next holiday dinner.
- 2 sliced garlic cloves
- 1 thinly sliced ginger
- 1 cup sliced Shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup of rice
- Thinly sliced greens (can include bok choy, spring onions, etc.)
- 9 cups of vegetable stock or water
- Umami seasoning
- Boil water in a cooking pot for over 30 minutes with the mushroom and seasoning in place.
- Add the rice once the water begins to boil and add the vegetables after the rice begins to cook.
- Continue simmering and mixing until the consistency becomes thick and soupy, and add garnish if necessary.
- Serve in bowls and enjoy!
Vegan Cream Cheese Balls
Cheese balls are the ideal holiday snack and appetizer, offering a nice creamy flavor that you and your family will surely find delightful. This healthy snack only needs a few ingredients as well, which means that you can make a whole set of them to serve in any meal during the day!
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup cashew nuts
- 2 cups of coconut oil
- Agar powder
- Cream Cheese
- 2-3 cups water
- Sliced chives
- Yeast flakes
- Put your cashews in hot water for around 5 minutes and then rinse and drain afterward.
- Blend the cashews, coconut oil, salt, and yeast flakes and add boiling water. Blend it until you get a smooth consistency.
- Add the chives and cream cheese into the blended mixture and mildly blend it one or two more times.
- Refrigerate the mixture for around 1 hour and wrap it around cheesecloth.
- Rest the cheese ball overnight and roll it on walnuts afterward.
- Serve and enjoy with the family!
Smoky White Bean Puree
A great healthy alternative to mashed potatoes, white bean puree offers the same consistency and satisfying flavors that you and your family would love. With a smoky flavor that adds another dimension to the taste, along with a delicious offering of herbs and spices, this is something that would make for an awesome vegan side dish for your holiday meals.
- 2 cans of white beans
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp hickory sauce
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- ½ tsp of paprika
- 2 tbsp vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper
- ½ tsp rosemary
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 1 small chopped white onion
- Heat a pan and then add garlic and onions to saute.
- Add the white beans, hickory sauce, and spices into the pan and mix.
- Place the mixture on the food processor and add vegetable broth and begin to puree.
- Serve in a bowl and enjoy!
Vegan Cassava Cake
A classic Filipino dessert, the Cassava Cake is a satisfying treat after eating a good holiday dinner. This vegan version retains the same delicious flavor that you and your family will love!
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 2 packs of grated cassava
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Mix the cassava, coconut cream and milk, and the sugar in one bowl
- Pour the mixture into a tray and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Mix sugar and coconut cream and place on top of the cassava mixture
- Broil the top mixture until caramelized.
- Serve during dessert!
The holiday season is a great time for great food, which is something that would surely make the experience memorable and satisfying. With these healthy and delicious vegan holiday recipes, you will surely have the best meals with your family and have the best celebration!